Saturday, June 2, 2012

mini Review: King's Cross

King’s Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus by Timothy Keller

This book is a look at the story and the world view in the Gospels, primarily the gospel of Mark but with some reference to the other gospels and epistles. It is written written is a simple style and aimed of the ordinary modern reader with no assumption of previous knowledge of the story made. It still manages to address important points from criticism and scholarship. Even though this is a story I know well Keller brings new insight as well as bringing renewed energy to older ideas.
I’ve been having fun taking some surveys at yourmorals.org  . These are the multiple choice surveys, many of them focusing on what the respondents base their morals on and what drives them to ethical actions. (A lot of them are interesting and what I’ve read of Jonathan Haidt’s work seems to point to new and intriguing insights.) But I’ve found myself unsatisfied at the range of possibilities that seem to be envisioned by the researchers. I particularly noticed that in a survey focused on motivations it seemed that the only reasons envisioned for good behavior were fear of your own feelings of guilt or fear of other people shaming you. In King’s Cross Keller does a really good job conveying the underlieing intuition of another motivation, of a desire to do good based in a positive view of yourself that is uncontaminated by a fear of guilt and desire to benefit other that is uncontaminated with pride.
    This sense of getting a clear grasp of an idea I had already been reaching for came to me repeatedly as I listened to this book. I would recommend this book to everyone. 

This Review is based on the audio version read by Lloyd James

No comments:

Post a Comment