Friday, July 20, 2012

Dragon Naturally Speaking


I've just gotten a new toy called Dragon Naturally Speaking. I'm just beginning to learn how use it but it feels much different from typing. It is a dictation program that has you speak into a microphone to compose text and give commands. It works best when you speak in clear complete sentences, saying the punctuation out loud. I compose sentences mentally either way, speaking or typing. But I find it much easier to stop in the middle sentence and change the grammar when typing mailing using the dictation program. I find myself closing my eyes to keep track of what I'm saying. I'm still struggling to learn the software, and it is different in feel from anything I've used before. I also find myself so excited sometimes, it seems like magic as the worst just appear on the screen, that I have a hard time concentrating, not on the process, but on the document I'm composing. The dictation program does occasionally mis-hears words, and I'll be editing all these all the posts I make with it extensively. But it will be interesting to see how using the dictation program changes my writing style.

1 comment:

  1. I hope this program helps you think about what you say before you say it. My mind does not work that way. Insert foot into mouth.

    ReplyDelete